Enabling or Disabling Specific Services Within Your Office365 License using Powershell

As I’ve discussed in previous posts, an Office365 “License”, which Microsoft refers to as an AccountSkuID, can be conceptualized as a bundle of services which make up that license offering.  For example, in the educational tenant that I am working with at the moment, the license “STANDARDWOFFPACK_STUDENT” can grant a person access to a number of services, such as Exchange Online, Sharepoint Online, OneDrive, the Office web apps, Skype for Business, and a few other things.

A frequent request I’ve had is for a way to easily turn on or off specific services for a user or a set of users.  This is easy enough to do via the Office365 admin portal by flipping the toggles on the screen, but that obviously won’t scale.  Also, the trick is to make sure that you toggle the setting for the one service plan you are looking for while leaving all of the other service plans in their current states.

The approach that I’ve settled on to manipulate a single service plan’s status within an Office365 license is as follows:

  • Read the target user’s object from AAD using get-msoluser.
    $userObject = get-msoluser -UserPrincipalName $userPrincipalName
  • Create a hashtable of ServicePlan:ProvisioningStatus values for all of the service plans in the user’s current license.
    $plans = @{}
    $userObject.licenses.servicestatus | % { $plans.add($_.serviceplan.servicename, $_.provisioningstatus) }
  • Look for a key in the hashtable you just created which matches the name of the service plan that we are looking for and set it to the desired value.  In this example, we are disabling the service plan by changing it from “Success” to “Disabled” in the hashtable.
    if ($plans.get_item($targetServicePlan) -eq "Success") {
  • Use the values in the updated hashtable to build a new licenseOptions object with the updated set of disabled service plans.
    The New-msolLicense opject seems to be very picky about the value passed to the disabledPlans parameter.  The only way that I have found which works consistently is to create a list (array) with each item in the list being a service plan name.  Some sources seem to suggest that a comma-separated string will work but I haven’t had much luck with that.

    $disabledPlans = @()
    $plans.Keys | % { if ($plans.get_item($_) -eq "Disabled") { $disabledPlans += $_ } }
    if ($disabledPlans) {
        $licenseOptions = new-msolLicenseOptions -AccountSkuId $baseLicense -DisabledPlans $disabledPlans -verbose
    } else { # If there is nothing on the list of disabled services
        $licenseOptions = new-msolLicenseOptions -AccountSkuId $baseLicense
  • Use Set-msoluserlicense to apply the updated license information to the target user.
    get-msoluser -UserPrincipalName $userObject.userprincipalname | Set-MsolUserLicense -LicenseOptions $licenseOptions

You can find a pair of Powershell scripts named enable-O365ServicePlan.ps1 and disable-O365ServcicePlan.ps1, which demonstrate this approach, at my GitHub repo.  The scripts perform a series of checks to make sure that the target user is in the correct state before any changes are made.

A limitation of these scripts is that they only handle cases where the target user has a single license assigned to them.  While a single license is the most common configuration, users may also have more than one license assigned and the scripts do not handle that use case.


Author: Ken Hoover

A guy who likes to explore the boundaries of what systems can do when you bind them together and get them to cooperate.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s